Elementary School Parent Support for the Arts
The Ontario Music Educators’ Association (OMEA)
We are the provincial subject association for Music.
Be sure to connect with our two other ARTS provincial subject associations for more resources and parent support:
The Ontario Art Education Association (OAEA): for Visual Arts
The Council of Ontario Drama and Dance Educators (CODE): for Drama and Dance
By becoming familiar with the Arts curriculum, parents can better appreciate what is being taught in each grade and what their children are expected to learn.
Critical Thinking/Critical Analysis
- Sir Ken Robinson (short 3 min clips): Why Creativity is Important in Education and Do Schools Kill Creativity?
- Music and Cultural Art: A part of the Music and Mulsim Culture project created by the OMEA in cooperative with the Agha Khan Museum: https://www.omea.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Music-in-Cultural-Art-1.zip
- Visit this Ontario Edugains site to check out the Financial Literacy in Grade 6 Language and the Arts (drama, music)
Creating and Performing
- Check out this great ORFF music unit built around “I’s the B’y”, originally for Grade 5, but very flexible!
- Video lesson clips prepared by OMEA board member Gena Norburry:
Reflecting, Responding, and Analysing
Check out the numerous resources at ArtsAlive, the National Arts Centre of Canada’s Arts Education website. There are even some places you can download music to play along with!